Altea is without doubt one of the most charming towns of the Costa Blanca North. Its old town is packed full of character and the impressive church with its blue and white tiled, domed roof has to be one of the most photographed landmarks in the area.
The N332 divides the town in half. On one side are the sandy and pebbly beaches which are backed by the long promenade and the marina. On the other side of the road is the old and new town. The tram station and busy Tuesday morning market are both to be found in the new town. The old town is a must. It has quaint, charming streets full of character, many of which have steps that wind up to the church and plaza at the top of the hill, from where there are magnificent views of the mountains and the sea. The pedestrianized, cobbled streets are packed with top class restaurants and a fascinating array of tiny shops offering exquisite local crafts, paintings and gifts.
Places of interest and ideas for things to do in Altea
- The Old Town: steep, cobbled streets, full of character with restaurants and shops.
- The Market: on Tuesday mornings.
- The Church: Nuestra Senora del Consuelo with its famous blue and white tiled dome.
- The Beaches: sandy and shingle beaches.
- The Promenade: long beach front with great selection of bars and restaurants.
- The Marina: at southern end of town.
- The Tram Station: for tram south to Benidorm and Alicante or north to Denia.
Ideas for places to visit in Altea
- Enjoy a morning wandering around the old town of Altea, exploring its cobbled streets and popping into the craft and gift shops. There are lots of wonderful restaurants for lunch and then you may take a walk down to the beach and a have a stroll along the promenade.
- Spend the morning in the hustle and bustle of the large street market, which is held every Tuesday near the new town. Then jump on the tram and visit Denia for a bit of lunch before enjoying the return journey back through the beautiful scenery of the Costa Blanca North.
- Visit the tourist attraction that is the nearby Fonts del Algar waterfalls and afterwards head to Altea for a walk along the long beach front promenade and a filling "menu del dia", excellent set menus, at any of the lovely restaurants which line it.